The older I get the more I appreciate a girl’s night. When I was young I always thought being an adult meant you just had more money to blow with your friends on things like fancy vacations. (Because after all, you work 24/7 so you must have a lot of extra cash lying around, right? Wrong.) Turns out not only do you still have no money, you have even less free time. Everyone is busy trying to balance work, a significant other and all kinds of other commitments.
Now before I scare you off with my complaints about growing up, let me share the positive. 1. It’s not all bad.. I did have pizza for breakfast this morning and no one tried to stop me. 2. I value my time with my girlfriends so much more than I used to… and in the spirit of spending quality time with the girls AND not blowing a ton of money, here are a few fun girl’s night ideas that won’t break the bank.
1. Have everyone over for a wine tasting – this quickly turns into a free for all, but after a couple glasses who cares? Personally I think this is a great way to sample a bunch of cheap wines and figure out which are the best. Ann, my roommate, and I have found a lot of winners and a lot of stinkers this way. Either way it’s fun and that’s what matters.
2. Movie night – In fairness this is actually something my guy friends decided we should do, but regardless it’s extremely fun. We get together, usually on Wednesday nights to break up the week, and all dog pile on the couch. (Or as my friend Josie calls it, a cuddle puddle.) Before holidays we switch to holiday themed movies and we even have one friend who is the question master and asks us trivia about the movie before we start. Next we’re considering having a Bob Ross Party and all painting, but TBD on that one. ;)
3. Pick a recipe and cook something – Whether you’re going for a full blown meal or just dessert, it’s the activity that’s fun. Even if you aren’t the best cook (me) usually someone in the group is (Ann). Also, sous chef duties like chopping, peeling, measuring are all key. Worst case scenario you just mix up some funfetti and eat the batter. Inevitably when you have people over everyone ends up hanging out in the kitchen anyway so might as well start there.
4. Pajama party – As much as I love sleeping in my own bed, and I really do, there’s still something special about a good old-fashioned sleepover. If you’re going to do it and invite everyone over though you better really commit. I’m talking face masks, pop corn and the whole nine yards. As if staying up late laughing with your friends isn’t enough, it gives you a great excuse to buy a new pj set. Win, win.
5. Spa night – You can add this on to slumber party if you want, but I think it deserves it’s own bullet. I can’t guarantee your friends love trying new beauty products as much as mine do, but you’ll have a great time regardless. My current faves are the Glam Glow Mud Masks and the weird black peel mask. My interest was peeked in the weird black face mask when two of my girlfriends sent me THIS video. Honestly, it’s kind of messed up that this woman’s terrible experience is what made us want to try it, BUT it’s kind of like when someone tells you to taste something gross and even though that should make you *not* want to try it, you instantly become curious and do it anyway. Long story short, it wasn’t a very dramatic experience for us but we did laugh a lot. Anyway, the point is get your girls together and do some at-home pampering. Whipping up a face or hair mask recipe off Pinterest is fun too. Worst case, if you’re feeling super lazy you can even get sheet masks from CVS for like $2.
6. BYOB anything – It goes without saying.. going out in general is expensive. The food, drinks and uber lock you into probably $50 minimum. When my friends and I are ballin on a budget (but obv can’t resist treating ourselves) we are big fans of BYOB restaurants. One drink frequently costs as much as your entree so if you can find cute spots that are down with you bringing in your own booze you’ll save a bunch of cash. If you live in LA, here are some BYOB spots. Also here and here. I’m also going to put this out there.. anywhere is BYOB if you are discreet and believe in yourself, but if you get caught you didn’t hear it from me. ;)
Hopefully this gives you a little fresh material for your next girl’s night! If you have any ideas I’d love to hear them. Leave me a comment below so I can give them a whirl myself!
Photography Lauren Miller
Bodysuit: c/o Cosabella // Jeans: GRLFRND // Shoes: Forever 21 // Purse: Nordstrom // Sunglasses: The 5th Watches // Earrings: Vanessa Mooney via Flynn Skye (in black, and similar style here) // Lipstick: Urban Decay (Vice Lipstick, color is “Hex”)